Matilda: The Musical is the latest film adaptation of the Roald Dahl stories; this week’s film contest highlights some of the others.
There have been plenty of Roald Dahl adaptations on the big and small screen. matilda the musical (read our review here) is not even the only version of matilda. Directors who have tackled Dahl’s stories on screen include Steven Spielberg, Tim Burton, and Wes Anderson, so there’s plenty to focus on for Round 2 this week. On both sides, there’s a broader mix of movie questions, on topics ranging from movie star birthdays to sequels and spin-offs.
Once you have completed all three rounds, you will find a link to a separate post with the correct answers at the bottom of this post. As always, this is just for fun, but let us know how it went in the comments (scores 30 this week!) and give us any other lovely feedback. Hold your breath, make a wish, count to three…
ROUND ONE – This Week in Movie History
- 2021: According to the song that topped the Disney charts Charm“We are not talking about…” who?
- 1977 – Navarone Force 10 Is it a sequel to which 1961 war movie?
- 1984 – Born This Week, connecting the 2013 movies Don Jon, Ella, Y Under the skin?
- 2017: Which sport ranks high in battle of the sexes?
- 1991 – Who plays Johnny Utah in Breaking point – Patrick Swayze or Keanu Reeves?
- 2006 – What country are you in? The Pan’s Labyrinth establish?
- 1965 – Also Born This Week, whose characters include Galen Erso, Gellert Grindelwald, and Le Chiffre?
- 2014 – What title connects the third and fourth? The Hunger Games films?
- 1983 – Which pop star plays radio DJ Nicki Brand on videodrome?
- 2000: Natalie Cook, Alex Munday and Dylan Sanders are the main characters in which franchise?
ROUND TWO – Roald Dahl in the movie
- Complete 1971 lyrics Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – “Come with me and you will be in a world of…” what?
- who directed 1996 matilda and also played Matilda’s father, Harry Wormwood?
- Which 2016 movie stars Penelope Wilton as Queen Elizabeth II?
- Anne Hathaway plays the Grand High Witch in 2020 The witchesbut who plays her in the 1990 version?
- In which 1995 anthology film do directors Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino adapt a quartet of Dahl’s adult stories?
- Which horror legend plays Willy Wonka’s dentist father in 2005? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?
- Which movie features Miriam Margolyes as Aunt Sponge and Joanna Lumley as Aunt Spiker?
- What kind of animal features prominently in the 2015 TV movie? trot esio?
- George Clooney provides the voice of Mr Fox in 2009 fantastic mr foxbut what other Oscar winner does the voice of Mrs. Fox?
- Which of Sean Connery’s James Bond movies has a script written by Roald Dahl?
ROUND THREE – Pot Luck
- What is the name of the detective played by Daniel Craig in knives out Y glass onion?
- What decade is it in? The Blair Witch Project establish?
- Complete the title of the 1944 film noir classic starring Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck: Double…
- In the news! Dancer is an upcoming movie spin-off of which action franchise?
- Which US president connects the movies? black dynamite, secret honor, Y watchmen?
- Which actor brother is older, Emilio Estevez or Charlie Sheen?
- What 1970s horror movie has a belated 1999 sequel with subtitles? The fury?
- Which main character connects Steve McQueen in 1968 and Pierce Brosnan in 1999?
- who directed 2017 Wonder Woman?
- And finally, Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal play father and son in this week’s new Disney movie. Strange world And what other live action movie from 2004?
Ready for the answers?
That’s the end of this week’s quiz: when you’re ready to check your answers, Click here to get them (it will take you to another page). We’ll have another quiz for you next Friday, but until then, let us know your scores in the comments below.
We’ll be back next Friday with another quiz, but until then why not catch up with season 1 of our aptly named movie quiz podcast. The Film Quiz Podcast, in which Nick Helm asks intrepid contestants some of our movie questions and only occasionally chides them for answering them wrong. If you’ve already heard everything, watch this space for new episodes soon.
Thanks for your visit! If you would like to support our attempts to create a clickbaity-free movie website:
Shop our print magazines Film Stories and Film Stories Junior here.
become a sponsor here.